HOW THE PROGRAM WORKS
Healthy Weight and Your Child empowers 7-13 year olds, with the support of their families, to reach a healthy weight and live a healthier lifestyle.
It is adapted from the most widely disseminated and extensively evaluated child weight management program in the world. The family-based program emphasizes three elements: healthy eating, regular physical activity, and behavior change to achieve a positive life-long transformation.
Healthy Weight and Your Child creates a safe, fun, and active environment for children and their families to explore and adopt proven methods to achieving and retaining a healthy weight. Groups of 10 to 15 children and an adult from each child’s family meet twice a week for four months, totaling 25 sessions.
Each session includes fun and safe physical activities and family education on such topics as:
- Healthy eating
- Physical activity
- Portion control
- Internal and external triggers
- Food label reading
- Goal setting and rewards
Evidence shows that child weight-management programs are more effective when the whole family is involved and committed to adopting healthier habits. For this reason, the attendance of at least one adult responsible for each child is required at all sessions.
TO QUALIFY, A CHILD MUST:
- Be 7-13 years old
- Carry excess weight, with a body mass index of the 95th percentile or higher
- Receive clearance from a healthcare provider or school nurse to participate
in physical activity (referral below)
- Have a parent/guardian attend ALL sessions
- $80/family for the 4 month program (this is a $1595 value)
- Includes $20 gift card given upon program completion
- Scholarship and Financial assistance available to those who qualify
- Monthly payment plans available
PROGRAM SESSION STRUCTURE:
To refer patients, please complete and fax downloadable and fillable Healthcare Provider Referral Form (below) to 808-664-8821.
To find a program near you, please contact the program coordinator Noël Gibeau at (808) 548-0951.