HOW THE PROGRAM WORKS
Healthy Together empowers 6-13 year olds, with the support of their families, to reach a healthy weight and live a healthier lifestyle.
It is adapted from the most widely disseminated and extensively evaluated child weight management program in the world. The family-based program emphasizes three elements: healthy eating, regular physical activity, and behavior change to achieve a positive life-long transformation.
Healthy Together creates a safe, fun, and active environment for children and their families to explore and adopt proven methods to achieving and retaining a healthy weight. Groups of 4 to 10 keiki and their parent or guardian meet twice a week for 10 weeks, totaling 20 sessions. Siblings may participate in the family sessions.
Each session, which is currently virtual, includes fun and safe physical activities and family education on topics such as:
- Healthy eating
- Physical activity
- Portion control
- Internal and external triggers
- Food label reading
- Goal setting and rewards
Evidence shows that child weight-management programs are more effective when the whole family is involved and committed to adopting healthier habits. For this reason, the attendance of at least one adult responsible for each child is required at all sessions.
TO QUALIFY, A CHILD MUST:
- Be 6-13 years old
- Be considered at risk for obesity
- Receive clearance from a healthcare provider to participate in physical activity (referral form below)
- Submit a signed parental consent form to their health care provider
- Have a parent/guardian attend ALL sessions
- $80/family for the 10-week program (this is a $1,595 value)
- Please contact NKFH for information regarding financial assistance qualification
Healthy Together Physician Referral Form
To refer patients, please complete and fax the Healthcare Provider Referral Form (below) to 844-763-3215.