After a two-year absence due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Keiki Bike & Skateboard Safety Day returns to Wilcox Medical Center Saturday, Aug. 13.
The free safety education event will take place from 8 to 11 a.m. in the Lihue medical center’s back parking lot (past Same-Day Surgery).
“We’re extremely proud and excited to be hosting Keiki Bike & Skateboard Safety Day once again,” said Jen Chahanovich, president and CEO of Wilcox Medical Center and CEO of Kauai Medical Clinic. “This fun, interactive event allows us to connect with our community and teach families about the importance of proper bike and skateboard safety practices, which aligns with our mission to create a healthier Hawaii.”
Held in partnership with several community organizations, the 2022 Keiki Bike & Skateboard Safety Day will feature a number of educational, hands-on activities, including:
- A helmet fit station, where Wilcox staff will fit and give away free dual-certified helmets to keiki (while supplies last).
- A helmet decoration station.
- A bicycle skills enhancement course led by Kauai Path.
- A skateboard skills enhancement course led by Kauai Skate Ohana.
- Safety inspection stations to ensure bikes and skateboards are operating safely.
- Food and beverage stations featuring the Wilcox Health blender bike.
- Booths from Big Brothers Big Sisters Hawaii, Hawaii State Department of Health, Hawaii Life Flight, Hale Opio Kauai Inc., Kauai Police Department, Keiki to Career Kauai, Keala Foundation/Kauai CrossFit and LifeSave KuPono.