Kapiolani Medical Center for Women & Children recently installed in front of its main entrance a historic commemorative stone that was found during construction of the Diamond Head Tower. Etched with the dates 1874-1929 and March 26, the stone represents a time of great historical significance for the specialty hospital.
In 1874, Queen Kapiolani and her husband, King David Kalakaua, ascended to the throne of the Kingdom of Hawaii. On March 26, 1929, the hospital held its opening ceremonies at its current site, which was actually the second location for what was then known as the Kapiolani Maternity Home for Women. It was initially founded by the Queen in 1890 as Kapiolani Maternity Home at the corner of Makiki and Beretania Streets. In 1978, it merged with Kauikeolani Children’s Hospital to become Kapiolani Medical Center for Women & Children.
“Kapiolani Medical Center for Women & Children boasts an incredible legacy and we are proud to shine the spotlight on our heritage by displaying this commemorative stone at the entrance to our newest building,” said Martha Smith, chief executive officer of Kapiolani Medical Center.
The stone installation was designed by Alan Low Design. It features a concrete sign face mounted on a lava rock veneer column. The sign includes the original commemorative stone and a plaque with details of the historical significance and milestones in the medical center’s history. The plaque also bears the quote “Kahi ola no ka wahine me ke keiki,” which translates to “A place for women and children to be healthy.”
Kapiolani’s Diamond Head Tower opened in July 2016 and features an expanded Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) with 70 private rooms and Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) with 14 private rooms. It also includes an adult Medical Surgical Unit with 12 private rooms, multidisciplinary outpatient clinics, an 8,000-square-foot Rehabilitation Center, a 1,600-square-foot auditorium, conference and education rooms, and a 4,000-square-foot employee fitness center. The building is also home to the new Emergency Department that opened in December 2017.
Kapiolani Medical Center for Women & Children is the state’s only full-service medical center specializing in the care of women and children. The Emergency Department averages 125 daily visits and 45,000 yearly visits. It is the only Level III pediatric trauma center serving Hawaii and the Pacific region, and its Emergency Department is the only one in the state staffed by both adult and pediatric emergency medicine specialists.
Kapiolani CEO Martha Smith is joined by the medical center's management team at a blessing ceremony for the installation of the commemorative stone that now stands at the main entrance to the medical center.