Wilcox Memorial Hospital is partnering with several community organizations to present the 2016 Kauai Keiki Bike & Safety Day, a free safety education event for kids and families. It will be held on Saturday, April 30, from 8 a.m. to noon at Wilcox Memorial Hospital.
Keiki ages 5-10 are invited to collect stamps to use to enter a free drawing for a new bike or skateboard. A variety of safety education and activity stations will be offered including:
- Helmet fit station, where Wilcox will be fitting and giving away 300 free helmets to keiki ages 5-10.
- Bike and skateboard safety inspection stations, where Kauai Skate Ohana and Kauai Cycle will inspect bikes and skateboards to make sure they are operating safe.
- Bicycle skills enhancement course conducted by Kauai Path.
- Skateboard skills enhancement course, where Kauai Skate Ohana will give tips and demonstrations on skateboard skills and proper use of safety gear.
- Car seat safety inspection by Kapiolani Medical Center for Women & Children and Kauai Police Department.
- A blender bike demonstration where participants can make their own smoothies while riding a stationary bike.
- Helmet decorating station, where keiki can make their free helmets their own.
- American Medical Response-guided ambulance tours.
There will also be activity booths and giveaways from community organizations such as Hawaii Life Flight, Sports Authority and HMSA.
The bikes and skateboard giveaways are made possible through generous donations from Wilcox Health employees as well as community partners including AlohaCare, Hawaii Life Flight, HMSA, Kauai Community Federal Credit Union, Kauai Skate Ohana and Sports Authority.
Registration is required for this event and is available online at wilcoxhealth.org/bikeandsafety or by calling 245-1198.