This class is closed, please navigate here to look for open classes
This offering is intended for Hawai‘i Pacific Health (HPH) Nurses, Physicians and Credentialed Physicians.
This offering is completed in the HealthStream Learning Center and the simulation is held at Kapi'olani Medical Center for Women & Children (KMCWC).
Week 1 - August 27, 2023
Week 2 - September 3, 2023
Week 3 - September 10, 2023
Week 4/Simulation - September 20, 2023 and September 21, 2023
1. Identify ECMO therapy, criteria for the therapy and equipment used for ECMO.
2. Review advanced respiratory and cardiac management in neonates and pediatrics patient requiring ECMO for cardiac and respiratory support.
3. Identify the physiology of ECMO.
4. Identify safety procedures prior to cannulation for ECMO.
5. Review hemostasis and the use of blood products and other hemostatic agents in the management of ECMO patients.
6. Prepare for medical and mechanical ECMO emergencies.
7. Manage the ECMO patient and circuit.
8. Identify weaning and decannunlation process.
9. Identify the procedure for transporting patients on ECMO therapy.
10. Review the role of perfusionist and demonstrate understanding of individual roles in caring for the ECMO patient using case scenarios, return demo, skills validation, and written exam.
11. Review blood gas interpretation for patients on ECMO.
12. Identify ethical and social issues and developmental outcomes of ECMO patients.
In support of improving patient care, Hawai‘i Pacific Health is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Hawai‘i Pacific Health designates this live activity for a maximum of 13.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ for physicians. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Hawai‘i Pacific Health designates this live activity for 13.25 contact hours for nurses. Nurses should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Please contact Sherri Sommer-Candelario by emailing: