This training is offered for nurses, physicians, social workers and other clinicians. It focuses on communication skills to improve ACP discussions. The class will review key elements and processes related to ACP, Advance Directives and POLST development.
1. Apply ACP resources to promote advance care planning discussions.
2. Engage the multidisciplinary team to patient-centered discussion addressing advance care planning.
3. Promote patients’ knowledge of advance directives including healthcare power of attorney designation.
4. Implement correct documentation of POLST-CPR, DNAR, full and limited treatment, time-limited trials and comfort care.
5. Promote correct process of ACP documents-access and utilization in your organization.
6. Identify the Hawai‘i requirements of Medical Aid in Dying, Our Care, Our Choice Act.
In support of improving patient care, Hawai‘i Pacific Health is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Hawai‘i Pacific Health designates this live activity for a maximum of 7.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit (s) ™ for physicians. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Hawai‘i Pacific Health designates this live activity for 7.5 contact hours for nurses.
As a Jointly Accredited Organization, Hawai‘i Pacific Health is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved under this program. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Hawai‘i Pacific Health maintains responsibility for this course. Social workers completing this course receive 7.5 continuing education credits.
HPH Employees: Manager's Approval is required prior to registering AND register online through the HPH Learning Center (HLC).
Non-HPH Participants: Register below.
Contact Michelle Cantillo, RN, HPH ACP Coordinator at (808) 535-7874 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advance Care Planning, Advance Directives and Provider Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment