This activity is for Nurses with one year of current unit experience, who are interested in being a preceptor or enhancing skills as a preceptor.
1. Describe Preceptor development at HPH and utilize the seven roles of the Preceptor.
2. Identify one’s own teaching and learning style preferences and needs of the Adult Learner, and demonstrate how these will be uniquely adjusted to meet the needs and styles of the Preceptee.
3. Utilize the 5 stages of development from Novice to Expert to identify one’s own stage of development as a Preceptor, as well as to determine the progress of the preceptee.
4. Discuss the use of the COPA model and 8 more Core Competencies in competency validation of the Preceptee.
5. Practice strategies used for developing critical thinking in the Preceptee.
6. Integrate the use of electronic competency validation documentation system.
7. Demonstrate effective communication in Healthcare as related to communication with Preceptee and other Team Members on Unit.
8. Discuss one’s own Interpersonal, Generational, Cultural and Conflict Management styles and practice crucial conversations based on the unique styles and needs of the Preceptee.
9. Delineate tools needed as a Preceptor working with Student Nurses, New Hires and New Grads.
In support of improving patient care, Hawai‘i Pacific Health is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Hawai‘i Pacific Health designates this live activity for 4.75 contact hours for nurses.
Kapi’olani: Please email Mady Fernandez at Madeline.Fernandez@kapiolani.org.
Pali Momi: Please email Kristi Sakai at Kristi.Sakai@palimomi.org.
Wilcox: Please email Paula Hulme at Paula.Hulme@wilcoxhealth.org.
For all others: You may email any of the above. Mahalo.
HPH Preceptor Essentials Workshop