Fitness and Exercise Tips:
1) When increasing exercise, use the 10% rule. Calculate your current average daily exercise and increase it by 10% until you have reached your goal and / or the public recommendations.
2) Or monitor and increase physical activity by increasing daily steps. Increase daily steps by 10% each week until you reach a daily average of 10,000 steps/day.
3) Or for exercise, increase duration by 5-10% each week until you reach a daily average of 30 min/day or 150-300 min/wk.
4) Be sure to do a warm up and cool down with any exercise, even strength training.
5) When doing weights or strength training, exhale during exertion phase and inhale during relaxation phase. (Example, breath out when lifting and breath in when lowering weights)
6) Set goals that are realistic. One strategy is to create S.M.A.R.T. goals:
1) When shopping for breads, pastas, or other carbohydrates, choose whole grains. An item is considered a whole grain if the first ingredient listed on the ingredient list is a whole grain or a whole wheat flour.
2) A food item is considered "Low in Fat" if it contains 3g of fat or less per serving.
3) A food item is considered "Low in Sodium" if it contains 140 mg of sodium or less per serving.
4) Dietary cholesterol is related to the increased risk of heart disease. In an egg yolk alone, there is over 200 mg of cholesterol. The body makes all the cholesterol it requires, so any food source of cholesterol is in excess of what it needs. Try to minimize the amount of cholesterol you eat by decreasing the amount of animal products you consume, and by looking at food labels.
5) Natural soy foods, such as tofu and edamame, are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids and a great source of plant protein.
6) When planning to dine out, look at restaurants' websites in advance to see what healthy options you can choose from.
1) Have a breathing technique that resonates with you. Chose one that is easy to do in any environment such as counting your breath 4 counts each way. A favorite of mine is to simply extend my exhales a few times noticing the space at the end of each breath. Set a timer once an hour and take a moment to just breath.
2) Progressive Relaxation. Try relaxing different sections of your body individually. Take a moment to clinch your hands into fists as you breath in, hold for a moment, then relax your hands as you breath out. You can repeat this process with different areas of the body such as your legs and feet.
3) Catch yourself treating yourself gently for moment each day such as taking an extended relaxing exhale.
4) Give yourself permission to take a moment to disconnect from your thoughts each day and just listen without thinking
5) Focus on the present moment rather than dwelling on the past or worrying about the future. Slow down and arrive in the moment
6) Protect your sleep. Do not have any lights in your room, especially blue light.