Straub Medical Center was founded in 1921 as “The Clinic” by Dr. George F. Straub. Dr. Straub conceived the idea of forming a group of physicians into a practice in order to provide better, more specialized care for his patients.
As time went on, the group of partners expanded and determined that the Clinic needed an associated in-patient facility, demonstrating their continued commitment to new concepts of medical care. Mindful of their mission to improve care for the community, the Clinic broke ground for its hospital in 1970.
With the hospital’s opening in 1973, the name Straub Clinic was changed to Straub Clinic & Hospital. In its first decade of operation, the hospital admitted 58,036 patients and increased staff from 288 to 480.
Throughout its years of operation, Straub Medical Center has built a tradition of introducing many medical firsts to Hawaii. Most widely known is the addition in 1983 of the Straub Burn Unit, the Pacific Region’s only multi-disciplinary burn treatment center.
Other medical firsts include:
- Mitral valve surgery
- Nuclear medicine
- Arthroscopic knee surgery
- Interventional radiology
- Vascular surgery techniques
- Artificial skin replacements for burns
- Minimally invasive hip and knee joint replacements
- Drug eluting stents
- Pediatric cardiac ablations