Our psychologists and psychiatrists help people of all ages and families who are experiencing personal, emotional or social difficulties. They treat mood disorders, stress-related problems, phobias, panic and anxiety disorders and serious mental illness.
Our services include individual, couples and group counseling, prescription medicine, psychological testing, behavior modification, cognitive therapy, relaxation training and hypnosis. If needed, psychiatric hospitalization is available.
Programs & Services available at:
Kapiolani’s Behavioral Health Service (KBHS) provides compassionate care for patients who are being treated in the hospital or who are being seen in the outpatient pediatric or OB/GYN clinics.
KBHS is also a training site for the University of Hawaii School of Medicine’s Department of Psychiatry.
Kapiolani Health Connection: 1-808-527-2588
Note: Kapiolani is not a psychiatric facility and so does not provide inpatient psychiatric services. If you are in a mental health crisis, please call the Department of Health’s 24-hour ACCESS Crisis Line at 1-808-832-3100 (neighbor islands, call 1-800-753-6879).
What we do:
- Behavioral health services
- Psychiatric and psychological services provided at the hospital bedside, in the emergency room, or in outpatient clinics
- Psychological testing to evaluate cognitive and behavioral outcomes during and after medical treatment and injury
- Psychiatric medication management
- Around-the-clock support for inpatients and emergency room patients
- Multi-disciplinary programs, such as the Comprehensive Children’s Cancer Center, Child Life Services/Playroom, Cleft & Craniofacial Clinic, the Women’s Cancer Center, the Newborn Special Care Unit, and Palliative Care
What we can help you with:
- Reducing the stress that you may face with serious or chronic medical conditions
- Establishing positive behaviors in support of your health and medical treatment
- Treating depression, including post-partum depression, and the impact it has on your well-being and daily life
- Treating the anxiety, fears, and phobias that may have an impact on your medical treatment
- The sense of loss and grief you or your family may face with serious illness
How to receive services at KBHS
- If you or your family member is a Kapiolani patient, simply ask your doctor for a referral
- Your physician can call us to request behavioral health services for you if you are hospitalized at Kapiolani, receiving treatment in the emergency room or in one of our outpatient clinics
- Because KBHS does not accept referrals from the general community, please call the Kapiolani Health Connection at 1-808-527-2588 if you need a recommendation for a community-based provider
Before your first outpatient appointment at KBHS
If you have been referred to KBHS for an outpatient appointment, please complete and bring the following forms to your first appointment:
Straub psychiatrists and psychologists offer a full range of clinical services to adults, adolescents, children and families who are experiencing emotional, personal or social difficulties.
They provide individual, couple and family therapy to treat mood disorders, psychosomatic complaints, depression, stress-related problems, phobias, anxiety and panic disorders and serious psychiatric illness. Medicine is prescribed when required. Straub's staff offers psychological testing, group therapy, behavior modification, cognitive therapy, relaxation training and hypnosis.
Straub Psychiatry & Psychology Department: 1-808-522-4521