Our Health Management programs help you develop the skills to improve your health, lower your risks, increase your energy and enjoy a better quality of life.
Our health management specialists are registered dietitians and diabetes nurse educators who work together as a team with you and your doctors. They provide:
- Diabetes education and goal setting
- Nutrition, exercise and weight management
- How to use medications and monitor your blood sugar levels
- Complications of diabetes and understanding the emotional aspects of diabetes
- Fiber and label reading
Programs & Services available at:
Kapiolani offers a range of services, classes and educational resources to help you manage your health more effectively.
As the only women’s and children’s hospital in the Pacific Basin, Kapiolani is uniquely capable of diagnosing and treating patients at all stages of diabetes, including gestational diabetes and juvenile diabetes.
Pali Momi’s Diabetes Self-Management Program is designed to help patients manage their condition and keep them as healthy and active as possible.
The program allows patients to meet in a class setting with a nurse educator to develop a self-care program. The 10-hour program includes an individual diabetes assessment followed by a series of four classes that cover the following topics:
- Diabetes overview
- Goal setting
- Nutrition and exercise
- Self blood glucose monitoring
- Long-term complications
- Psycho-social concerns
A physician may refer a patient by calling 1-808-535-7733. Patients should remember to bring a list of all their medications, any papers their doctor has given them and their blood sugar testing equipment. If a patient needs to reschedule their appointment, they should call at least 24-hours before their scheduled visit.
Free Glucose Screening
Screening is provided for free at Pearlridge Center, Uptown. It is valuable in identifying unknown cases of diabetes. It's also beneficial for diabetics who need assistance with ongoing monitoring.
Screening is offered on the first and third Monday of each month, 7:30 – 9:30 a.m. and is located at the new Pali Momi Wellness Station, Pearlridge Center Uptown, 2nd level near the escalators.
For more information about these programs, call 1-808-535-7733.
Straub is dedicated to helping its patients, community members and employees achieve optimal well-being and a high quality of life.
Straub does this by combining top quality medical care and quality health management programs to help patients make healthier lifestyle choices.
Straub Health Management includes Registered Dietitians and diabetes nurse educators, who work together as a team with patients and their physicians. Programs include:
Diabetes Self-Management Education
- Diabetes Overview and Goal Setting
- Nutrition and Exercise
- Medications and Monitoring
- Understanding the Complications and Emotional Aspects of Diabetes
- Fiber and Label Reading
Medical Nutrition Therapy/Nutritional Counseling for:
- Preventing chronic disease
- Weight management (including the need to regain weight)
- Treatment of medical issues (such as kidney disease, irritable bowel syndrome and celiac disease)
- Special diets (such as food allergy, food-drug interaction and nutrient deficiency)
Straub Health Management: 1-808-522-4325 (physician referral is required)
Straub believes that sound nutrition is a key component to a person’s health. A Registered Dietitian can help a patient decrease their risk of disease, manage their weight, increase their energy level and achieve optimal performance in all they do. A Registered Dietitian is uniquely qualified to provide medical nutrition therapy and to promote optimal nutrition and wellness. Individual consultations with a registered dietitian are available at multiple Straub Clinic locations on Oahu.
- Assessment of current dietary habits & health status
- Body fat testing and anthropometrical measurements
- Individualized nutrition plan and lifestyle coaching
- Label reading and healthy shopping habits
- Recipe alteration and healthy cooking guidelines
- Exercise consultation
- Disease prevention
- Goal setting and action plans
- Management of medical conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol
For a one-on-one consultation, call 1-808-522-4325 or see your physician for a referral to a Registered Dietitian. Specific recommendations are based on medical conditions, lab work, and patients needs.
Diabetes Self Management Education
A Certified Diabetes Educator or Registered Dietitian (some of which are also Certified Diabetes Educators) provides education on the fundamentals of diabetes and the skills necessary for the daily self management of diabetes. Our program is recognized by the American Diabetes Association
- Diabetes Overview & Goal Setting: What is diabetes, risk factors, signs and symptoms, types of diabetes, goal setting for success
- Nutrition & Exercise: Meal planning options, how food affects your blood glucose, benefits of exercise, getting started on an exercise program
- Medications & Monitoring: Learn to use glucose meters, how your medication works, and more
- Complications of Diabetes & Understanding the Emotional Aspects of Diabetes: Understanding the complications, treating low blood glucose, treating high blood glucose, proper foot care, discussing emotions related to having diabetes.
- Fiber and Label Reading: Read the nutrition facts label, benefits and sources of fiber.
Other Services Offered:
- Initial assessment
- Medical nutrition therapy
- Pregnancy and preconception care
The Health Management Program on Kauai has been a center for diabetes care since 2005.
To serve its diverse island community, Wilcox provides diabetes self-management education, women’s health, corporate account physicals and dietitian services. Wilcox also provides Coumadin management for those patients who require closer therapeutic monitoring. This array of diabetes services is available to patients by Wilcox’s team of experts in diabetes education, which includes nurses, dietitians and certified diabetes educator professionals.
Educational Classes and Events
As part of Wilcox’s offering to patients and the community, the hospital sponsors a variety of seminars, classes and special events focusing on various health topics from prenatal classes to the Ilocano Diabetes Night Workshop.
- Core classes: "Healthy beginnings" childbirth preparation, breastfeeding, diabetes education, nutrition and wellness, "Got cholesterol?" workshops for cardiac care.
- Available upon request: Gestational diabetes classes.
Diabetes Education Services
Mary Roush, RN, CDE
For information or an appointment, call 1-808-246-1380.
Office hours: Mon, Wed, Thurs, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Wilcox Diabetes Education Services: 1-808-246-1380