Your eyes can be affected by illness, injury, vision disorders and age-related changes such as cataracts. Regular check-ups and preventive care are important to achieve optimal eyesight and to spot disease or disorders early, so they can be treated most effectively.
Our eye specialists are doctors and other experts who can help you maintain good eye health and vision. Their goal is to provide the best care to ensure comfort and preserve your vision.
Programs & Services available at:
Many problems that can affect your child's vision require clinical care by a physician or other health care professional. Kapiolani's eye health experts provide eye screenings and treat a wide range of issues, including:
- Childhood Glaucoma
- Refractive Errors
- Crossed-Eyes (Strabismus)
- Conjunctivitis (Newborn/Childhood)
- Retinopathy of Prematurity
- Stye (Hordeolum)
- Blocked Tear Duct (Dacryostenosis)
Kapiolani Health Connection: 1-808-527-2588
Founded in 1993, Pali Momi’s Retina Center is the state's first comprehensive clinical and research center dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the retina.
Thanks to advances in treatment, many blinding retinal conditions are now treatable, including age-related macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy, which are the leading causes of vision loss in Hawaii.
- Fundus Photography
- Fluorescein Angiography
- Computerized Digital Angiography
- Indocyanine Green (ICG) Angiography
- A and B Scan Ultrasonography
- Standardized A Scan for ocular tumor evaluation
- Electroretinography (ERG)
- Electro-oculography (EOG)
- Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) – high definition imaging of the retina
Treatment of Retinal Problems
- Photodynamic Therapy
- Pars Plana Vitrectomy
- Diabetic Vitrectomy
- Macular Degeneration Management
- Implant Repositioning
- Lens Fragment Removal
- Retinal Detachment Repair
- Endophthalmitis Management
- Macular Hole/Pucker Surgery
- Subretinal Surgery
- Slit-lamp Laser/Endolaser/Indirect Laser
The Retina Center is located at Pali Momi, Suite 470.
Retina Center (physician referral): 1-808-487-8928
Electrophysiology testing: 1-808-485-4240
Ophthalmologists and optometrists at Straub work as a team to provide comprehensive vision care services. From routine eye examinations to complex surgical procedures, Straub board certified physicians and expert staff work together to evaluate and address each patient's needs.
Straub also offers a full-service optical shop and a contact lens service. Straub Optical Shop has a wide variety of designer frames and the newest technology in lenses. The Straub Contact Lens Shop has certified technicians and many types of contact lenses to choose from.
Some eye problems are related to other medical conditions, such as diabetes and autoimmune or thyroid disease. In these cases, Straub patients have access to physicians in over 32 medical specialties who work closely together to diagnose and treat the underlying problem.
Ophthalmologist (M.D.): Total Eye Care
Ophthalmologists offer complete eye care services, including:
- Vision services, such as eye exams
- Medical eye care -- for conditions such as glaucoma, iritis, and chemical burns
- Surgical eye care -- for trauma, crossed eyes, cataracts, glaucoma, and other problems
- Diagnosis and treatment of eye conditions related to other diseases, such as diabetes or arthritis
- Cosmetic surgery -- for drooping eyelids
Optometrist (OD): Vision Care and Eye Care Services
Optometrists focus on regular vision care and prescribe eyeglasses and contacts. Services include:
- Vision services, such as eye exams
- Treatment of conditions, such as nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism
- Eyeglasses and contact lens prescription and fitting
- Low vision aids and vision therapy
- Diagnosis of eye conditions, such as glaucoma, cataracts, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, and conjunctivitis
- Medication prescription for certain eye conditions (in some states)
- Participation in pre or post-operative care for people who need surgery
Optician: Eyeglasses and Contact Lenses
Opticians fill the prescription that your eye doctor gives you. Services include:
- Evaluation of lens prescriptions
- Adjustment and repair of glasses, frames, and contact lenses
- Facial measurements
- Guidance in deciding which type of lenses and frames will work best
- Order and check products, including contact and eyeglass lenses
Straub Ophthalmology department: 1-808-522-4430
Straub Optical Shop: 1-808-522-4366
For patients on Kauai, Wilcox offers a range of services to address their eye health concerns.
Wilcox: 1-877-709-WELL (9355)