Straub, Pali Momi and Wilcox Medical Centers, all part of the Hawaii Pacific Health system, were recently recognized for quality care and exceptional patient outcomes by Healthgrades, the leading online resource for comprehensive information about physicians and hospitals. The achievements for specialty care and clinical outcomes for various procedures and treatments are part of new findings and data featured in the “Healthgrades 2020 Report to the Nation,” which underscores the importance of hospital quality to both consumers and hospital leaders.
Among the various awards received, Straub has been named one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals for General Surgery and Gastrointestinal Care, and is the only hospital in Hawaii to receive these designations. Straub also received 5-star ratings for 13 different specialty procedures and treatments.
Pali Momi received 5-star ratings for Pacemaker Procedures, Hip Fracture and Bowel Obstruction Treatment outcomes, and Wilcox received 5-star ratings for Treatment of Stroke and Hip Fracture outcomes.
“We pride ourselves on delivering quality care to our patients and this recognition validates our ongoing efforts to put our patients and their health first,” said Art Gladstone, CEO of Straub Medical Center and Pali Momi Medical Center. “We are incredibly proud of our physicians and staff at Straub and Pali Momi for their contributions to these achievements. Their drive and commitment to go above and beyond in the care they provide results not only in well-deserved honors like these Healthgrades awards, but more importantly, in better health outcomes for our patients.”
Added Jen H. Chahanovich, president & CEO of Wilcox Medical Center, “It’s gratifying to be recognized for providing our patients with quality care, and it’s even more gratifying when we see the positive results of that care in the outcomes of our patients. The health care professionals we have on our team at Wilcox are among some of the best in their fields, and it’s because of their expertise and dedication to our community that we’re able to provide nationally recognized care for the people of Kauai.”
Every year, Healthgrades evaluates hospital performance at nearly 4,500 hospitals nationwide for 32 of the most common inpatient procedures and conditions using Medicare data, as well as tracking outcomes in appendectomy and bariatric surgery using all-payer data provided by 15 states. A 5-star rating indicates that medical center’s clinical outcomes are statistically significantly better than expected when treating the condition or performing the procedure being evaluated.
Straub, Pali Momi and Wilcox received the following recognitions:
Straub Medical Center
Straub Medical Center has received the America’s 100 Best Hospitals for General Surgery Award for three consecutive years (2018-2020). Straub also received the Stroke Care and Pulmonary Care Excellence Awards and is the only hospital in Hawai‘i to receive the America’s 100 Best Hospitals for General Surgery and Gastrointestinal Care in 2020. Straub was also recognized for the following clinical achievements:
- General Surgery Excellence Award for six years in a row (2015-2020)
- Five-Star Distinction for Pacemaker Procedures in 2020
- Five-Star Distinction in Total Hip Replacement for 11 years in a row (2010-2020)
- Five-Star Distinction in Hip Fracture Treatment for seven years in a row (2014-2020)
- Five-Star Distinction in Treatment of Stroke for three years in a row (2018-2020)
- Five-Star Distinction in Treatment of Pneumonia for eight years in a row (2013-2020)
- Five-Star Distinction in Treatment of Sepsis for 11 years in a row (2010-2020)
- Five-Star Distinction in Treatment of Pulmonary Embolism in 2020
- Five-Star Distinction in Treatment of Diabetic Emergencies in 2020
- Five-Star Distinction in Treatment of GI Bleed in 2020
- Five-Star Distinction in Treatment of Bowel Obstruction for three years in a row (2018-2020)
- Five-Star Distinction for Esophageal/Stomach Surgeries for three years in a row (2018-2020)
- Five-Star Distinction for Small Intestine Surgeries in 2020
- Five-Star Distinction for Colorectal Surgeries in 2020
Pali Momi Medical Center
- Five Star Distinction for Hip Fracture Treatment for three years in a row (2018-2020)
- Five-Star Distinction for Pacemaker Procedures in 2020
- Five-Star Distinction in Treatment for Bowel Obstruction in 2020
Wilcox Medical Center
- Five-Star Distinction in Treatment of Stroke for two years in a row (2019-2020)
- Five-Star Distinction for Hip Fracture Treatment in 2020
“As consumers navigate their health, it is important to consider a number of factors, including hospital quality, before deciding where to access care,” said Healthgrades Chief Medical Officer Brad Bowman, MD. “Healthgrades’ America’s 100 Best Hospitals for General Surgery and Gastrointestinal Care recognizes those hospitals that have proven their dedication to quality care and exceptional outcomes over time, and the hospitals that have been recognized as 5-star rated for specific procedures and conditions stand out above the rest for the ongoing dedication and commitment to providing exceptional care to their patients.”
Healthgrades recognizes a hospital’s quality achievements for cohort-specific performance, specialty area performance, and overall clinical quality. Individual procedure or condition cohorts are designated as 5-star (statistically significantly better than expected), 3-star (not statistically different from expected) and 1-star (statistically significantly worse than expected) categories. View the full list of Specialty Excellence AwardTM recipients here. The complete “Healthgrades 2020 Report to the Nation” and detailed study methodology, can be found at https://partners.healthgrades.com/healthgrades-quality-solutions/healthgrades-quality-awards/.