Hawaii Pacific Health is proud to offer the Dr. Ornish’s Program for Reversing Heart Disease™ (Ornish Lifestyle Medicine Program), which is a unique and innovative approach to prevent, stop and even reverse heart disease and significantly improve other chronic conditions.
The Ornish Lifestyle Medicine Program is designed for people who want to:
- Prevent, stop, or reverse heart disease
- Learn lifestyle changes to help manage diabetes, hypertension, heart disease and other chronic conditions
- Lessen dependence on medications
The Ornish Lifestyle Medicine Program Focuses on Four Program Elements
Our certified clinical team guides program participants through an experiential journey consisting of:
Participate in low impact aerobic exercise and strength training, personalized to an individual’s ability.
Learn techniques to help manage and cope with daily stress.
Connect with other program participants, experience emotional support throughout the program, and practice skills that help decrease social isolation, depression and anxiety.
Develop a low-fat, whole foods, plant-based eating plan (less than 10% of daily calories from fat).
The Ornish Lifestyle Medicine Program Commitment
Participants complete the program in a small, consistent group of other program members. Each program group can accommodate up to 8 individuals. Participants in the Ornish Lifestyle Medicine Program commit to the program guidelines and attendance for all 18 program sessions (approx. nine weeks), which are 4 hours each.
Attendance at each 4-hour session includes participating in one hour of exercise, one hour of stress management, one hour of group support and one hour of an Ornish Lifestyle Medicine Program-approved nutritious meal and lecture. During each session, a trained chef prepares an evening meal that is shared onsite with the group.
The Ornish Lifestyle Medicine Program is designed to help
- People who are considering bypass, angioplasty or stents, but are seeking an option that may reduce the need for these procedures.
- People who have previously experienced heart procedures and want to minimize the chances of having repeat procedures.
- People with diabetes (who are considered to have the same risk level for heart disease as those who are have already been diagnosed with heart disease)
- People with risk factors for heart disease such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, obesity or family history of heart disease
Our experienced and professional team works with primary care physicians and specialists, such as cardiologists, to identify candidates for the Ornish Lifestyle Medicine Program. Candidates are carefully screened to ensure that the program is right for them. Participants who are in the program continue to be treated by their primary physician who will receive regular reports on their patients.
Hawaii Pacific Health is currently accepting qualified participants in the Ornish Lifestyle Medicine Program. To determine whether you may be eligible for the Ornish Lifestyle Medicine Program or for more information, please see our referral form or call 808-522-4114.Request More Info