Entering our 50th year serving children and families, the team consists of multi-disciplinary professionals committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for the children of Hawaii by identifying and addressing issues related to child maltreatment and neglect.
Child Protection at Kapiolani
Child Advocacy and Protection Team
When a concern of abuse or neglect is identified at Kapiolani Medical Center for Women and Children the Child Advocacy and Protection team comprised of a pediatrician, social worker, psychologist and a nurse provides inpatient consultations.
Available Services during Inpatient Stay:
- Consultation for evaluation, diagnostic assessments, recommendations for infants or children admitted to the hospital and concerns for suspected child abuse or neglect are identified. This may occur initially at admission or at any point during the hospital stay.
- Assistance and guidance to caregivers and children in understanding the medical and social issues that have prompted their involvement with child welfare services or that may place them at risk for future involvement with child welfare services.
- Expert consultation to physicians and clinical staff regarding protective issues that may emerge during treatment.
- Emotional support to children and families during their hospital stay.
- Assistance to physicians and clinical staff in evaluation and reporting of suspected cases to Child Welfare Services.
- Facilitation of communication between hospital staff and child welfare services, law enforcement or other community agencies, or health care providers involved with the family.
- Assistance with care coordination with Child Welfare Services.
- Provision of expert court testimony in child protection cases.
- Training for physicians and clinical staff on issues related to child protection.
- Identification of resources and community supports available to assist children and families.
Available Services to the Community:
- Participation in the Child Death Review to identify initiatives to prevent child deaths.
- Consultation with community health care providers who have concerns regarding child abuse and maltreatment.
- Education to community agencies regarding child abuse and maltreatment and issues related to injury prevention of children.
- Collaboration with community, county, and state organizations in efforts to improve the health, well-being and safety of children
Mandated Reporting at Kapiolani Hospital for Women and Children
All clinical staff at Kapiolani Women and Children’s Hospital are Mandated Reporters under Hawaii State Law. View the report
Child Welfare Services Reporting Hotline:
Oahu : 808-832-5300
Outer Hawaii Islands: 1-888-380-3088
Human Trafficking Reporting Hotline
Outer Hawaii Islands: 1-888-398-1188
How to Contact Us:
Our team physician is available 24 hours a day by calling the hospital operator at 808-983-6000. We can also be reached in our office at 808-983-6699. We are located at Kapiolani Medical Center for Women &Children at 1319 Punahou Street in Honolulu, Hawaii.
2014 Hawaii Child Protective Act
Annual Report of Child Abuse and Neglect in Hawaii
Oahu Children’s Justice Center
Multidisciplinary team of professionals who coordinate child abuse investigations.
Susannah Wesley Center
Ho’ola Na Pua
Mentoring program providing trauma informed care to youth victims of human trafficking and those at risk.
Keiki Injury Prevention Coalition
Statewide community-based organization, established in 1991 by Hawaii Department of Health (incorporated as non-profit in 1995), comprised of broad-based representation from more than one hundred-fifty organizations, agencies, and individuals committed to preventing injuries to children and youth in Hawaii
Period of Purple Crying
The PURPLE program is designed to help parents of new babies understand a developmental stage that is not widely known. It provides education on the normal crying curve and the dangers of shaking a baby. Learn the Purple acronym and tips for you and your baby from Injury Prevention Coordinator, Lisa Dau.
This service is available at: Kapiolani