Quality of Care at Kapiolani
Kapiolani Medical Center for Women & Children is well recognized as Hawaii’s leader in the care of women, infants and children. It is Hawaii’s only maternity, newborn and pediatric specialty hospital. It is also a tertiary care, medical teaching and research facility. Specialty services for patients throughout Hawaii and the Pacific Region include intensive care for infants and children, 24-hour emergency pediatric care, critical care air transport, maternal fetal medicine and high-risk perinatal care.
- Kapiolani Medical Center for Women & Children is the only full-service children’s specialty hospital in Hawaii.
- More than 1,600 employees and 655 physicians provide specialty care at Kapiolani.
- The state’s only dedicated breast health and gynecological cancer centers, which also offer numerous community programs.
- First in the state to establish an Imaging Center of Excellence, providing a unique model of care with Radiologists on site.
- Only hospital in Hawaii to perform bone marrow transplants for children through young adults.
- Home of the State’s largest and most advanced Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, caring for over 1,000 infants a year.
- Deliver more babies in Hawaii, over 6,200 per year.
- Newly built Diamond Head Tower offers 200,000 square feet of brand new, state-of-the-art technology, private rooms that allow for family centered care.
- Sponsors an Annual Kapiolani Prom for teens who missed their high school functions due to their medical conditions.
Awards & Affiliations:
- Kapiolani is fully accredited by The Joint Commission, an independent nonprofit organization that certifies health care organizations and programs in the United States.
- Major teaching hospital for the University of Hawaii, John A. Burns School of Medicine Pediatric and OB/GYN programs.
- Has assisted in training many of Hawaii’s pediatric, obstetric and gynecologic doctors, nurses and allied health professionals.
- Member of the NCI - Sponsored Children’s Cancer Group.
- The Joint Commission Advanced Palliative Care Certification.
- Adult and Pediatric Cancer Program accredited by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer.
- Partnered with the Hawaii Bone Marrow Donor Registry (HBMDR) to offer the only peripheral blood stem cell (PBSC) and marrow collection program in Hawaii.
- Hawaii’s only Children’s Miracle Network hospital for more than 20 years.
- Participation in the adult and pediatric National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (NSQIP).
- Members of the Children’s Hospital Solutions for Patient Safety (SPS) Network.
- 2021 Women's Choice Award for Best Hospitals in Best Mammogram Imaging Center.
- Only hospital in Hawaii and one of approximately 50 nationwide to earn Level 1 Children's Surgery Verification from the American College of Surgeons.