Vascular doctors specialize in treating conditions that affect your blood vessels. Our specialists use state-of-the-art diagnostics and techniques to optimize our patients’ care and comfort as they undergo diagnosis and treatment.
Vascular conditions can be caused by diseases that also affect other organs or systems in your body, so our specialists work closely with all your doctors to ensure coordinated care.
Whether you are seeking treatment for an aneurysm, arterial disease or lymphedema, you are in good hands with our vascular specialists and surgeons, who are nationally recognized for their expert care.
Vascular Health at Straub
Straub Vascular Center
Straub provides state-of-the-art diagnosis and comprehensive treatment of vascular diseases of the circulatory system, which include arteries, veins and lymphatics.
Straub’s experienced vascular surgeons care for thousands of patients in Hawaii each year. In many cases, they use new, minimally invasive endovascular procedures that produce excellent outcomes and rapid recovery.
Straub’s unique team approach means that vascular surgeons work closely with their colleagues, who are specialists from the departments of cardiology, neurology, and diagnostic and interventional radiology, to care for patients with common vascular diseases, complex illnesses and rare arterial, venous or lymphatic problems.
The Straub Vascular Center is internationally recognized for its expertise in traditional open surgery and minimally invasive endovascular and endoscopic procedures, including:
- Endovascular or open repair in all vascular areas, including:
- balloon angioplasty and stenting
- abdominal aortic aneurysms
- peripheral artery aneurysms
- deep vein occlusions
- thoracoabdominal aneurysms, including fenestrated and branched stent grafts
- Carotid endarterectomy and carotid artery stenting
- Bypass surgery and endovascular therapy for peripheral artery disease and gangrene of the limbs
- Endovenous laser therapy treatment, radiofrequency ablation or subfascial endoscopic perforator surgery for varicose veins and venous ulcers
- Hemodialysis access
- Treatment of vascular malformations, median arcuate ligament and nutcracker syndromes, lymphedema, and chylous effusions
Straub Vascular Lab
Straub provides non-invasive testing to locate areas of vascular blockage and disease. These tests may include:
- Simple blood pressure assessment of the extremities using blood pressure cuffs
- Ultrasound to directly visualize the blood vessels
Straub Vascular Lab is accredited and is managed by vascular surgeons and vascular medicine specialists skilled in evaluating vascular disease through the use of diagnostic testing.
The following are some descriptions of some common vascular testing. Your vascular surgeon will explain all tests in detail to you and give you instructions on how to prepare for the test and what to expect afterward.
The ankle-brachial index (ABI) is a measurement that is useful to your physician in evaluating the circulation in your legs.
- Your physician will measure your blood pressure in your ankle and in your arm using a blood pressure cuff and an ultrasound. Your physician will compare the two numbers by forming a ratio to determine your ABI.
- The blood pressures in your ankle and arm should be about equal. But if your ankle pressures are lower than your arm pressures, your leg arteries are probably narrowed.
- Carotid imaging - ultrasound of the carotid arteries to identify or rule out carotid artery disease.
- Renal imaging - ultrasound of the arteries to the kidney to evaluate if there are significant blockages in those arteries that could cause kidney failure or severe hypertension. Patients should have nothing to eat or drink for 12 hour prior to renal duplex testing.
- Mesenteric - evaluates blockages in the mesenteric arteries that may be contributing to abdominal pain or ischemia of the intestines.
- Abdominal imaging- for identification and evaluation of aneurysmal disease of the aorta and its branches.
Straub Vascular Center: 1-808-522-4469
This service is available at: Pali Momi Straub