When Dr. Joseph “Joe” Nishimoto began practicing medicine in 1957, the population of Pearl City was already booming. The young physician often saw more than 100 patients a day.
Yet, Leeward Oahu had only a few plantation-style medical facilities. Driving to a hospital in Honolulu took an hour –- far too long for many patients with emergency conditions. It was clear to Dr. Joe that the people of Central and West Oahu needed a first rate hospital to serve their community.
Dr. Joe and his wife, Maude, led a grassroots effort that spanned many years and included a petition with thousands of resident signatures. On July 31, 1989, Dr. Joe’s vision to provide West Oahu with convenient, quality health care was finally realized with the opening of Pali Momi Medical Center in Aiea.
Throughout its history, Pali Momi has pioneered many firsts and advances in health care for Central and West Oahu, including the first cardiac catheterization unit, first retina center in the state, a fully-accredited bariatric surgery program and a comprehensive women’s center, equipped with the latest technology and services.
Today, Pali Momi continues to provide high-quality, nationally recognized care, true to its founder’s original vision to serve the community of Leeward Oahu.