New pedestrian walkway from and to hospital and parking garage, opens May 11, 2016
The blue covered walkway from the parking garage to the hospital will be permanently removed due to landscaping and sidewalk work along Bingham Street.
Beginning Wednesday, May 11, a new pedestrian route from the parking garage to the hospital will be open for use. Kapi‘olani Security staff and Elite Parking ambassadors will be on duty 24/7 to guide and assist patients, visitors, staff and physicians through the new walk route that goes from the parking garage's 3rd floor, to the pedestrian bridge walkway through the NICU/PICU building, to the hospital's 2nd floor area near the Dining Room.
Patients and visitors who take the parking elevator down to Level 1 will be assisted and redirected to go back up to parking Level 3 to access the new bridge walkway from the parking garage to get to the hospital. Staff will be stationed on a 24/7 basis to provide assistance.
Click here for a map of our new pedestrian route from the parking garage to the hospital. This route will also be used for pedestrian traffic to the parking garage from the hospital.
All pedestrians walking along Bingham Street will be detoured on the temporary sidewalk on the ground floor fronting the construction area along Bingham Street.
During the months of May and June 2016, the following construction activities will occur:
- New visitor, staff & physician routing from Parking Garage to Medical Center thru the new NICU PICU building 2nd floor via a pedestrian bridge.
- Demo of the temporary covered walkway & sidewalk along Bingham St.
- Rebuilding new landscaping & meandering sidewalk along Bingham St.
- Generator building construction continues in the private lane.
- Interior finishes work continue inside the new building.
- Drills, jackhammers and saw cutters will continue to be used throughout the day.
- There may be some congestion in the private fire lane and driveway as the construction of the generator building continues and construction trucks come in and out.
- Drivers using Bingham Street should expect some delays, as construction and commercial trucks will be in the area to haul away debris and delivering supplies/construction materials.
- There may be some congestion at the patient drop-off area. Staff will be on hand to assist patients and families.
We apologize for any inconvenience
We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your continued support as we build a new hospital for Hawaii’s keiki.
Should you have any concerns or questions about our construction project, please call our construction information line at 808-535-7669.
Monday through Friday: 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Demolition (using jackhammer, saw cutting, etc.) 9 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
There will be a break in construction during the midday when the crew stops for lunch.
For information, call the construction information hotline at 808-535-7669, or visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/kapiolanimedicalcenter for the latest updates.