- Knowledge for immediate care of the burn patient up to the first 24 hours post injury.
- Emergency preparedness, mass casualty incidents focusing on triage, burn survivability, prioritizing transport of patients and patient treatment.
- Live hands on, 8 hour course for physicians, nurses, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, therapists, and paramedics.
- Burn transfer criteria to Straub Medical Center Burn Unit.
- Lectures, and case studies are presented for group discussions.
- Simulated burn patient scenarios to reinforce the assessment, and stabilization of burn patients.
- Testing consists of a written exam and a practical assessment.